Follow Me!

I now have my own Facebook page! Please like it at https://www.facebook.com/katjaneway.blogspot.

You can follow me on twitter also @Katjaneway. If you hate twitter, like I know a lot of you do, you can still subscribe to my blog via email below this heading. I'm also on bloglovin'!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Don't forget to comment, ya trolls! Thanks :)

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Oikos vs Chobani

I'm jumping onto the Greek yogurt bandwagon. I've always loved yogurt, to the point where I even bought my own yogurt machine so that I could have some that wasn't full of high fructose corn syrup and didn't cost a buck a pop. But Greek yogurt is perfect for me because I am a carb-whore, and it's my lucky day if I get any protein in me at all. That's why I call myself a semi-vegetarian (The chick on Food Network Star stole my name, dammit.) I love me some meat, but I hardly get any in my daily diet. Greek yogurt is full of protein without all the extra fat etc, so that's great.

Since it's my first foray into the world of Greek yogurt, I wanted to try two popular brands.


First impression is that Oikos tastes a hell of a lot better right off the bat. Smooth, creamy, and oh so tasty. It's also cheaper, but there's a good reason for that. If you notice on the Chobani label, it's made with 100% natural ingredients. So, I looked more closely at the back of each container.



Chobani has slightly more calories and slightly more carbs, but there is also more protein. However, the biggest difference (besides the fact that Oikos has modified corn starch etc) is that Chobani has live and active cultures, where Oikos does not. When you buy yogurt I think you should expect that. The bacteria is good for your system, and it's worth the extra few cents to get that in your cup if you plan on eating Greek yogurt. I have to admit though, Chobani had a very funky taste (probably due to the cultures and lack of yummy sugars!) and I had to add a teaspoon of honey; but that fixed it right up. After that it was quite delicious. I might eventually make my own one day. All you need to do is make regular yogurt and strain out all the whey for a few hours. Then it's Greek!

What about you? Do you eat Greek Yogurt? What brands do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment