Follow Me!

I now have my own Facebook page! Please like it at https://www.facebook.com/katjaneway.blogspot.

You can follow me on twitter also @Katjaneway. If you hate twitter, like I know a lot of you do, you can still subscribe to my blog via email below this heading. I'm also on bloglovin'!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Don't forget to comment, ya trolls! Thanks :)

Monday, August 20, 2012

Scardy Cat

Sammy was a rescue, sort of. More like, I stole him and no one ever claimed him so I kept him lol. I was working up in Auburn at the time (2008), at the edge of town. Our warehouse was located down at the end of a dead end street and a few houses. One day, a hungry cat made his way up to our open shipping door, as it was probably 75-80 degrees and we needed the airflow. I was prepping the shipments when I heard the cat's loud meowing. He was able to jump up into the bay, which was quite a feat in itself. The poor guy/girl (None of us being vets, we thought most likely male, probably fixed later in life as he was so big) was looking malnourished. Our office already had a cat - Captain, who I believe had also been a stray that had happened upon us one day. So, we had cat food to feed this one. However, our bosses decreed that we weren't allowed to keep this one at the office, so he would need to find a home. A couple days passed, and no one wanted to claim him as their own. (Also, no one seemed to put up signs looking for a missing cat). Instead of making him go to the pound, I decided to take him in. I knew the apartment I was at allowed small pets, and I've always been a cat person. This one seemed very friendly and sweet, if not entirely huge for a cat.


 There's not many pics that show how big he is. I tried using
one of the biggest books that I have as a guide.

Rick, our Warehouse Manager, was planning on putting up signs for a found cat to see if he belonged to one of the people down the street. We didn't think that was the case though, as he was malnourished almost to the point of starving. We thought maybe that he was abandoned. Rick held off on putting up the signs until he saw that I was a "fit parent" for this kitty, who I named Sammy because it was uni-sexual name (I wasn't 100% if it was male yet). So then he became mine. So, I don't know his age, or the type of cat he is. I assume he's around seven years old now, but I have really no idea.

According to wiki, though, I think he's part or half Maine Coon. Look at this:

Maine Coons are known as the "gentle giants"[4] and possess above-average intelligence, making them relatively easy to train.[3] They are known for being loyal to their family and cautious—but not mean—around strangers, but are independent and not clingy.[26] The Maine Coon is generally not known for being a "lap cat" but their gentle disposition makes the breed relaxed around dogs, other cats, and children. They are playful throughout their lives, with males tending to be more clownish and females generally possessing more dignity, yet both are equally affectionate.[25] Many Maine Coons have a fascination with water[26] and some theorize that this personality trait comes from their ancestors, who were aboard ships for much of their lives.[5] Maine Coons are also well known for yowling, chattering, chirping, "talking" (especially "talking back" to their owners), and making other loud vocalizations.

Along with his size, this description is spot on. He doesn't have a massive aversion to water like most cats, probably because he is very tolerant. He'll let you do most anything to him, as long as it doesn't hurt - baths included up to a point. He is very loyal to us but scared of strangers, and man he's got a set of lungs on him. He's also quite independent - until he's hungry, that is. Then he loves on you in every way.

Yeah, he's begging for food. Who can say no to that?!

Oh, and the point of this post? Despite Sammy's size, he's quite overweight (sometimes it's really hard to know, since he's such a large cat anyway. He's like the size of Cocker Spaniel or something similar.) And he's also lazy. Of course we try to play with him, but he only lasts about 5 minutes before he looses interest completely. He's on diet food already, and we only feed him twice a day. He's pretty much constantly hungry (or says he is. Mrrrow!!) and is still overweight. So, I decided to teach him to take walks. He's been an indoor kitty all of his life with us (which is going on past 4 years now!) So he's afraid of the outdoors. Justin and I have wanted him to be, because the last thing we need is him bolting for the open door. And that's the same reason I didn't want to walk him... up until now. I think Sammy and I both need to go for walks, so I'm hoping to ease him into it.

It might take him a while. Scardy cat. =^.^=



1 comment:

  1. I love dogs but I don't mind cats but this one looks really fluffy and that he will just let you pet him for hours lol.

    ReplyDelete