Follow Me!

I now have my own Facebook page! Please like it at https://www.facebook.com/katjaneway.blogspot.

You can follow me on twitter also @Katjaneway. If you hate twitter, like I know a lot of you do, you can still subscribe to my blog via email below this heading. I'm also on bloglovin'!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Don't forget to comment, ya trolls! Thanks :)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Playlist is Weirder than Your Playlist

Let's play! lol
Prove to me your range of music is weirder than mine. In the comments of course. Let's have fun with this. I want to see what I'm up against.
I grew up on oldies. Now, I don't know if my oldies are the same oldies as what is now "old music". I think "oldies" is it's own genre, no matter how many years pass on songs from the 90's and beyond. If anyone reading this lives in WA (which most do) you might have heard of 97.3, KBSG. That was the oldies station my parents had on all the time. So, I grew up on the Monkees, Neil Sadaka, The Cars and several similar bands that I can't even name because honestly, I didn't care what they were called - I just wanted the music. I have Peter, Paul and Mary's version of 'Blowin' in the Wind', The Cowsills 'The Rain the Park and Other Things' The Chiffon's 'One Fine Day' and so on. I have songs by Queen, Boston, Billy Joel, Amy Grant, oh and my favorite: 'Wendy' by The Association.
I loved so many songs from the movies I watched. I was living in the year of Musicals. Actually, the years of musicals was long gone, but I grew up on them still. My playlist is filled with songs from Willy Wonka, Annie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Dr Dolittle, and A Goofy Movie etc (seriously, those songs are good).
As I grew up, my tastes gently shifted. Usually it was because I had a tape player and listened on the bus every day, but if my player was out of batteries or something, I would be forced to listen to whatever was on the bus's radio. I began to listen to music that was a bit more recent (at the time. This was the 90's). I fell in love with pop and/or rock songs by Celine Dion, The Corrs, Goo Goo Dolls, Savage Garden and Green Day. Normal stuff. And then, oh-ho-hoh. In High School I discovered jpop (Japanese pop. Trust me, it's different), and it's associated techno. As I began to enjoy mediocre "techno" like Alice Dejay's "Better off Alone" and Eifel 65's "Blue", I discovered real techno/trance in Japanese music. I fell in love with most of the music by Gundam Wing, thanks to a boy in my Digital Media class. I was also watching a lot of anime at the time, and had/have many songs by Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, (you want cutsie, these are it!) and other random animes - some which I've never even seen. But, they all had one thing in common: they were in Japanese.
And after I met Josh, Drummania (this was my favorite song btw) was introduced to the mainstream arcade, which we both loved. Through this open door, I discovered DDR (You know, Dance Dance Revolution!) music. Because yeah, those machines originated in Japan, and believe it or not, a lot of the songs are in Japanese.
After Josh passed away and I met Justin (and Rockband came out) my tastes diversified even further. A lot of the bands I (we) like now, were discovered through Rockband, just like I'd discovered music through Drummania. Kind of cool. One of my favorite bands is The Killers (weird music video), along with Shinedown. The interesting thing about Shinedown is like they're multi-personality, or something. They have soft music, and then they have in-your-face hard rock music, and I learned that I liked both. I also found to like a couple of songs from Disturbed, which even *I* think is strange. It's very hard core, but the chorus is really good lol. And believe it or not, I even have some classical pieces.
I've got a fairly diverse foreign library as well, from Tunak Tunak Tun, to the Corrs Irish music, to Basshunter (some in English, some in Swedish and the best Trance I've found to date - although their lyrics suck) to Alizee (French) and TATU, which sing in both English and Russian.

What's the weirdest song I have? Let's have a vote.
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant 
Brunnen G Theme Song (From Lexx)
Remember the old-school Hamster dance website?! I HAVE A REMIX!
Remember Barbie Girl by Aqua? Yeah, I've got the Russian version.
Raffi - Banana Phone (this is mom's ringtone. Why? Cuz somebody needs it! lol)
Red Dwarf (I have several songs by that series. Love it!) Munchkin Song by Rimmer.

So, whada think? ^_^





No comments:

Post a Comment