Follow Me!

I now have my own Facebook page! Please like it at https://www.facebook.com/katjaneway.blogspot.

You can follow me on twitter also @Katjaneway. If you hate twitter, like I know a lot of you do, you can still subscribe to my blog via email below this heading. I'm also on bloglovin'!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Don't forget to comment, ya trolls! Thanks :)

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

I hope I'm a decent teacher

I don't know everything. I know, ya'll are shocked. Before my obsessive drive to watch everything from Linus Tech Tips, I already knew a fairly decent amount about PC's; I had even built my own completely from scratch just last year (placing the CPU and the cooler for the first time because the last time I'd upgraded I was living with Justin and I had him do it because I was too scared that I would damage something). But that was just the basics. I know quite a bit more than before now thanks to youtube.

Patrick, my boyfriend, was in dire need of a computer upgrade. He was boasting a Micro-ATX ASUS motherboard with single channel 8GB RAM stick and an AMD FX-8300 CPU with a NVIDIA 750Ti video card.

not an actual pic of his machine, but close enough!

He didn't even know this. I had him download CPU-Z so that I knew what I was dealing with. And all of my old components were better than his by a long shot. Oddly enough, he had a better PSU than mine, but that wasn't horribly surprising because mine was a super generic silver box. At least his was semi-modular. The only things he had to buy was a CPU cooler (A Hyper 212 EVO, of course), a thermal pad (because hellz yeah) and an SSD because we were working with a 1TB HDD (probably at 5400 RPMs. Ugh.)

I was trying my best to teach him as much as I could regarding the building of his own PC. What wires did what and where they went, how to place a CPU, and most importantly - PLACE THE IO SHIELD FIRST! xD
I think we worked pretty well as a team. I do hope he learned something. He will need to upgrade again at some point, but considering what he was already working with prior to this upgrade, he might not need to for a while. But when he does, he will have to replace the mobo/CPU/RAM all at once because it's already outdated by several years (Sandybridge architecture and DDR3 RAM).

The best part is that when we were finally done putting it together, I plugged it in to my monitor and it posted on first boot! Ahhhhh, such an amazing feeling. CPU thermals at idle were great with the new thermal pad, and all the RAM was accounted for. The only thing left was to get WIN10 on the SSD and we were set. It took all evening but we got it done!

He told me once that I am the only person he has dated who doesn't know sports, and I told him he's the only person that I've dated that doesn't know computers! But that's ok - he's willing to learn! And I think we had a good time while we were at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment