Follow Me!

I now have my own Facebook page! Please like it at https://www.facebook.com/katjaneway.blogspot.

You can follow me on twitter also @Katjaneway. If you hate twitter, like I know a lot of you do, you can still subscribe to my blog via email below this heading. I'm also on bloglovin'!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Don't forget to comment, ya trolls! Thanks :)

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Do You Always Do the Right Thing?

I was inspired to write this blog by a video I saw on a show called "Right This Minute". It was titled

Do The Right Thing



In it, the man creates an incentive to do the right thing when you find a wallet full of cash. He will even send you free stickers that allow you to put them on your stuff to entice people to do the right thing if they find it.

It got me thinking about a time where I did the right thing. People always get asked "If you found a wallet full of cash, what would you do?" and it's honestly hard to think of an answer. Of course you want to do what's right, but in the heat of the moment - do you? Maybe you're struggling financially. Maybe you're about to get your car taken away, or don't have enough money to feed yourself until you get paid again. That money would help you a lot, wouldn't it?

Those thoughts never occurred to me when I found a wallet in the parking lot. It had been our first - and last - Black Friday camp out at a Best Buy. We were probably the 6th people in line, having set up camp at 11am on Thanksgiving Day. You feel a sense of camaraderie with all the people waiting in line with you. You share your food, they share their propane heater (it was probably 26 degrees out that night). When morning hits and Best Buy opens their doors, you don't rush in like crazed maniacs, there's an order to the madness. And when Justin and I were leaving with our goods in hand, and it was still dark out, I noticed a wallet in the parking lot. I looked inside and saw an ID and I think about $40 in cash.

I didn't even consider taking it.

Because it was Black Friday, there were security personnel or cops standing at the entrances to make sure everyone was cordial. I walked the wallet up to them and said I'd found it in the lot. They took it and I went home. I didn't feel like I'd done anything special or out of the ordinary. I was just doing what I knew was right, and something that I hoped someone would do for me if they found my wallet in the parking lot.

Do you have any instances where you had to choose to do the right thing? Please share in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment