Follow Me!

I now have my own Facebook page! Please like it at https://www.facebook.com/katjaneway.blogspot.

You can follow me on twitter also @Katjaneway. If you hate twitter, like I know a lot of you do, you can still subscribe to my blog via email below this heading. I'm also on bloglovin'!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Don't forget to comment, ya trolls! Thanks :)

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

I Dream of the Devil

Grabbed you, didn't I? XD

Personally, I'm not religious in any sense of the word. I consider myself agnostic, which even for me is kind of a stretch because I'm a logical "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of person. I'm a hardcore believer in evolution but I will concede and say that it's possible that evolution may have been jump-started by a an all powerful being. It's not out of the realm of possibility for me.

But the point of this post is not to talk about God or argue semantics, but to explore a show that I completely fell in love with and never expected to: Lucifer.

I'll be honest, it had a lot of things going against it [for me]. First, it was a cop drama. I hate cop dramas. I find detective stories, mob boss stories and gang stories completely boring and hard to follow. And on top of that, it introduced religion. Well, kind of. For a show about the Devil it never talked about belief until Ella joined the cast in season two. To me, it introduced a supernatural element, and I was all over that.

But I'm writing this to kind of explain to people what this show is and what it isn't. And I'm writing this from the perspective of someone who is not religious, has not read the bible, and only in a vague sense even know the "history" of all that jazz. 

I know a person or two who refuses to watch Lucifer because it's a show about the Devil. And The Devil is evil. And sinful. Super sinful. mmmmmm ---------->

*clears throat* Anyway, I only half understand this reasoning. I don't know if it was Neil Gaiman (who wrote the original Lucifer story line in his graphic novels) or the writers of the series, but they go to great lengths to define and describe Lucifer. Over the last 3 seasons, his character has had many existential crises who is sometimes even at a loss to describe himself and what his nature truly is. The more time he spends on Earth, the more "human" he becomes, but we never forget that he is an angel; fallen or not.

Is he evil? No. What he is tasked to do is search out evil and punish those who do wrong by others. He often blames his dad for his shortcomings but realizes that he is only who he makes himself.
He helps detective Decker because they have the same goal: to find evil and make them pay for their crimes.

The writers made his character deep and complex. On the surface he is selfish, narcissistic, and brash, but on the inside he questions his existence. We learn that he regained his angel wings and lost his devil face because he finally believed that he was not defined by that persona. He guards the gates of Hell as punishment for his rebellion; he doesn't want to be there; he's not going to be characterized by his job.

Considering I'm not religious, I'm fairly convinced that if Lucifer Morningstar did actually exist, he would be like this character in Lucifer. This series is more than just the sum of its parts. It's more than just a "controversial" drama. And this is why I have written this piece and to join the movement to #SaveLucifer. I think it is a show that deserves to exist. 

Just like Lucifer Morningstar.


No comments:

Post a Comment